Frequently asked questions

What netting is used?
We use a high density polyethylene 19mm square netting that has been pre-stretched and heat set during production. This ensures the netting has a high knot strength and mesh uniformity. It has also undergone UV treatment to help stop net degradation with exposure to sunlight. 
Can I attach to a boundary fence?
Boundary fences are a shared item with your neighbour. As long as the integrity of the fence is not being compromised and the structure is classed as non permanent – the netting can be attached to your boundary fence.  
Do you fix to an asbestos fence?
No – not directly. Due to occupational health and safety reasons we won’t fix directly to an asbestos fence. However it is not a deal breaker. We can instead construct a free standing railing to run alongside the asbestos fence to attach the netting to.
Is a building permit required to build a cat enclosure?
Generally no. Most circumstances that we encounter when building a cat enclosure, due to the fact that we are using an open permeable product, will fit well within the building regulations set out in the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012 (Schedule 4). These legislations detail the situations where no building permits are required. 
However, if a substantial structure is needed, council approval may be required. 
Can I access the enclosure?
Yes, you will need to have some way of accessing the enclosure in order to service the area (eg for garden maintenance/ to clean windows) or to attend to your cat – should the need arise. An existing external door from your house or a gate in your yard can be incorporated in to the enclosure design. Alternatively we can also install a door or zip in to the enclosure to enable outside access.
What are the government regulations regarding cats?
West Australian Legislation:

The Cat Act 2011 covers the registration, identification and sterilisation of cats within the state of Western Australia. From November 2013, all cats over the age of 6 months (unless exemptions apply) are required to be:

  • Registered with their Local Government
  • Identified with a collar and tag when in a public place
  • Microchipped and
  • Sterilised
Local Council Legislation
In addition to the State Cat Act 2011, Local Councils may have their own legislation to complement the state laws. Each council is different – we have included some information on a couple of the local south west WA councils below. Click here to read more. 
City of Bunbury
City of Busselton
Shire of Capel
“The Shire of Capel has a Local Law relating to the keeping and welfare of cats. Under this law, cats must be confined to your property at all times. In addition, many of the reserves in the Shire of Capel have been identified as ‘Cat Prohibited Areas’. ” (Information from Shire of Capel Cat Legislation)
Why are there so many regulations regarding cats?
The State Cat Act 2011 and Local Laws are aiming to:
  • Encourage responsible pet ownership 
  • Reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and
  • Reduce the number of cats euthanased each year 
I also have a dog. Can I still build a cat enclosure?
Yes. Often this is a great way of creating a dog free zone for your cat. However, we do need to consider the size and breed of dog and will usually recommend a reinforced section (usually a panel of weld mesh or solid fencing material) in the area where the dog has contact with the enclosure. 
Will the netting entangle birds and native fauna?
The netting we use is relatively small (19mm square) which prevents birds from entering the enclosure through the netting. We do find, however, that they love perching on the netting and using it to catch bugs and insects!


Katzone PNG
Creating your cat’s own Katzone